Sunday, April 13, 2025

Houston County Galleria - The Most Successful Indoor Mall in Middle GA

Houston County Galleria - The Most Successful Indoor Mall in Middle GA

Houston County Galleria entrance

NOTE BEFORE WE BEGIN: The photos shown here are going to be a mix between photos from October 2024 and photos from April 2025. 

Warner Robins is a strange town. It's much smaller than Macon, but its retail is thriving, featuring the only Target in the area, and new restaurants popping up often. But we're here to talk about the Houston County Galleria. But first, some backstory on the the mall that came before it, the Houston Mall.

Houston Mall entrance

I won't talk much about the Houston Mall. It opened in 1973, featuring Sears, Belk, and Grant's, in addition to other stores. Once the Galleria opened in 1994, Houston Mall faded into obscurity. It's since closed down and is now a medical & government center. For more information on the Houston Mall, check out this article from Sky City: Retail History.

The Houston County Galleria opened in 1994, anchored by Sears, Belk, and Goody's, with JCPenney being built as an add-on in 1995, and the Galleria Cinemas being built in 1998.

JCPenney at the Houston County Galleria (1995-present)

Belk at the Houston County Galleria (1994-present)

Sears at the Houston County Galleria (1994-2018)

Galleria 15 Cinemas (1998-present)

(pretend there's a photo of the Goody's here)
Goody's (1994-2009)

In 2009, Goody's went bankrupt, closing all of their locations, including the Galleria location. It was later the Galleria Conference Center, then Halloween City, and now it sits as the Belk Men's store.

Crunch Fitness

Former Conn's HomePlus

Sears would close in 2018. It later became Crunch Fitness and Conn's HomePlus. Conn's closed due to bankruptcy in 2024. 

Without further ado, let's see what the Galleria looks like in 2024/2025!


Walking through the main entrance (between Crunch and JCPenney) are a lot of military recruitment offices, with Fix & Style on the right end and Spencer Gifts on the left end.


Houston County Galleria directory

I might work on a full map later on in the future. During my 2024 visit I thankfully got a picture of the map itself. When I went recently, I got the photo of the directory featuring the list of stores. 


Walking to the main section of the mall, we see Spencer's on the left, with Manhattan and FYE up ahead. There are also a lot of kid's rides, but I didn't get a photo of that.

Sears entrance (1994-2018)

Crunch Fitness entrance

Looking to the left, we see our first major anchor, being Crunch Fitness, formerly Sears. 



As we walk down the mall, we see more stores including Cricket Wireless, Hibbett Sports, and a local hat shop.

Victoria's Secret (left), GNC (right)

I won't even lie, I completely forgot GNC existed until I went here. As far as I know, this location and the Eisenhower Crossing store are the only locations left in Middle GA.

Hibbett Sports (left), Authentiks (right)

I won't even lie, I completely forgot GNC existed until I went here. As far as I know, this location and the Eisenhower Crossing store are the only locations left in Middle GA.

Entering the food court


Former Chick-Fil-A

The food court has a lot of local restaurants including Bonnie's Cookies. Originally there were fountains in this area, however those have been replaced with... I guess a lounging area? Not sure what to call it.

Forever Diamonds (left) and Know Style (right)

I want to assume the Forever Diamonds is a former Starbucks. In the Macon Mall, there's a place called Ivy Nail Salon, which shares the same exact entrance, but used to be a Starbucks in the 2000s.

American Eagle (left) and Shoe Dept (right)

JCPenney south entrance

I find it strange how this JCPenney has survived all these years. The Macon, Milledgeville, and Dublin stores have all been closed for many years.

Belk wing

As we continue walking through the mall, we encounter more stores such as Rainbow Shops and John Smeal & Co.

Belk Men's Store (former Goody's)

I find it strange that this store has two Belk stores. Either way, it keeps the vacancy rate lower so honestly, I don't think it's that big a deal.

Main Belk entrance

And here is the main entrance to the Belk store. Note the store on the right. I saw this and wasn't sure what it used to be. It looked very odd with the fancy entrance design.

Facing the east exit (between JCPenney and Belk)

JCPenney east entrance

Walking back towards the Sears wing

Weird north exit near the cinemas

Finish Line (left) and Bath & Body Works (right)

Looking towards the Sears/Crunch entrance

Galleria 15 Cinemas "entrance"




Galleria 15 Cinemas interior

Looking towards the Sears/Crunch entrance

Houston County Galleria fair (October 2024)

The Houston County Galleria is still the most successful indoor mall in Middle GA. It still goes strong, likely due to Warner Robins being a military town. 

For those who are wondering, yes, I will try to do Macon Mall and Milledgeville Mall posts sometime in the future.

What does the future hold for the Galleria? Time will tell.





































































No comments:

Post a Comment

Westgate Mall - Georgia's First Enclosed Mall

 Westgate Mall - Georgia's First Enclosed Mall In 1961, Georgia's first enclosed mall opened in Macon, Georgia. This mall was known ...