Sunday, March 30, 2025

Forest Hill Village, An Abandoned Shopping Center in a Growing Area

Forest Hill Village, An Abandoned Shopping Center in a Growing Area

Forest Hill Village on Northside Dr

Forest Hill Village is a strange shopping center. Not because it's necessarily abandoned, but rather its location. It's no doubt that the North Macon area has been growing constantly over the past 20 years. It started with Bass Pro Shops in 2005, then The Shoppes at River Crossing in 2008, Bass Plantation in 2010, and then North Macon Plaza in 2019. 3 miles south of The Shoppes at River Crossing sits Forest Hill Village, a small shopping center with only one business left. 

Piggly Wiggly at Forest Hill Village

Forest Hill Village opened on November 19th, 1975. The original tenants were Piggly Wiggly, Revco Drugs, Robinson's Hardware, Hallmark, Central Bank, and NuWay. I couldn't find exact closing dates for most of these stores, but it appears that the first to close was Robinson's Hardware, as the last mention of the store was in 1982. Central Bank's last mention was in 1985, Hallmark's last mention was in 1986, and Revco's last mention was in 1993. The major anchor, Piggly Wiggly would close in 1990, due to a new FoodMax store being built down the street. Around this time a bar called Rivalry's would open, facing Forest Hill. In the 90s, Warner Robins Supply Co. would move into the former Piggly Wiggly, and then expand into the former Revco.

Warner Robins Supply Co

Fun fact: Warner Robins Supply Co has only one location left, and it's in Perry. Not even in Warner Robins. 

Warner Robins Supply Co closed in 2009, and ever since, that space has been abandoned. In 2007, the shopping center had ScissorHands and Tan-Fastic Tanning Salon, both of which have closed. In the early 2010s, the only businesses left were Rivalry's, NuWay, and Designer Tan. 

Rivalry's Sports Bar

Rivalry's closed around 2015/2016, after a break-in, leaving Nu-Way and Designer Tan. After this, nothing really happened at Forest Hill Village. In 2022, a Popeyes was built in the parking lot, and in 2024, Nu-Way officially closed after 49 years, due to a new location opening at North Park II near Tom Hill, leaving Designer Tan as the last tenant.

I went to Forest Hill Village today, but sadly didn't take as many photos as I wanted to in hindsight. Despite that, here's what I took, and what Forest Hill Village looks like 50 years later.

Forest Hill Village sign

The most interesting part of this shopping center is by far this retro looking logo. It looks straight out of the 80s. There's also a marquee sign next to it, which I didn't get a clear photo of. Here's what it says: 

KARAOKE SUN & THUR

LIVE                           FRI SAT
COME SEE US               

I assume this was an advertisement for Rivalry's. And no, I didn't get any photos of Rivalry's, or any of the abandoned stores except for Piggly Wiggly/Warner Robins Supply. Maybe I'll go back and get more photos at some point, I don't know.

Former Piggly Wiggly/Warner Robins Supply Co

You can still see the labelscar for the Warner Robins Supply Co "house" sign. This building has been abandoned for 16 years at this point.

Warner Robins Supply Co doors

For some reason, this store was closed on Saturdays. Also, note the chain on the door. I assume this building has been broken into before. 

Inside the former Warner Robins Supply Co

This building is in TERRIBLE condition. There's wood everywhere, you can see stuff falling apart in the ceiling, it's awful. They might as well demolish this building.

Former Revco/Warner Robins Supply extension

At first, I had no clue what this was. No labelscar at all, the only remants being the "of Macon" sign. After looking at an old image (which I posted in this blog & on FB), this was in fact part of Warner Robins Supply. 

Inside the former Revco/Warner Robins Supply extension

Still in bad condition. Most of the lights appear to be gone, there's no ceiling tiles, yeah it's rough. 

Designer Tan

After all of this, Designer Tan survives as the plaza's last tenant. 

I feel like I haven't documented this place enough, and would like to take more photos in the future. After all, this is a really interesting place, and likely won't be around for too much longer.

The fate is unknown for Forest Hill Village.






































No comments:

Post a Comment

Westgate Mall - Georgia's First Enclosed Mall

 Westgate Mall - Georgia's First Enclosed Mall In 1961, Georgia's first enclosed mall opened in Macon, Georgia. This mall was known ...